Have your healthiest summer yet! Ease into the dreaded "swimsuit season" with healthy tips from TODAY experts. All throughout May, we'll offer smart do-it-yourself ways to look, eat and feel better. So stop stressing about that swimsuit, and read on.
Research shows that starting your day with a high-protein breakfast curbs appetite and boosts weight loss. Unlike standard, carby flapjacks, this Protein Pancake is full of high-quality protein from egg whites — a smart choice if you're looking to slim down or rev your system with an energizing meal. You also get a nice dose of filling fiber from whole-grain oats.
This is just one of the 75+ delicious, low-cal recipes featured in my new weight loss book, The Joy Fit Club: Cookbook, Diet Plan & Inspiration.
Protein Pancake with Strawberries
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sliced strawberries (or half of a banana, sliced)
- Generously coat a skillet with oil spray and heat over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the oats, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (For a moister pancake, cover the skillet while the pancake is cooking.) Top with strawberries or banana slices.
Makes 1 serving.
TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer takes on viewers' diet questions, including how to avoid gaining back weight you've lost and whether it's possible to develop lactose intolerance later in life.
More from TODAY Health's Summer Shape Up:
- Jenna Wolfe: What's on my summer playlist
- A yummy protein breakfast to speed summer weight-loss
- Ask Jenna: How can I lift weights without bulking up?
- 4 summer skin tips you should know